Friday, July 23, 2021

Living in a Sleepy Town in Fukuoka Japan

 My husband and I live in a small town in Fukuoka prefecture, Japan. When I was first placed here two years ago I was a little hesitant, however, after being here for some time I’m delighted with my placement. We are about 1.5 hours from Fukuoka city which is the largest city in Kyushu and about 1 hour from Beppu, the famous onsen city.



When I say small town, there is actually 25000 people living here. This is a huge population in comparison to the small town in Ireland (Boyle, County Roscommon), that I grew up in, which has a population of 2500. Despite this the town seems so much more rural than Boyle.

The main signs of life is from the schools in the area. Large amounts of students can be seen on their commute to and from school every day, but outside of this the town is in a quite slumber. We have two convenience stores, a Family Mart and a 7/11, a 100 yen store, a few grocery stores and a couple of small restaurants dotted around the town.

We live on the second floor of a small apartment complex. In the summer months we can hear the cicadas screaming outside the front of the apartment. At night time we are lulled to sleep by the sounds of the chirping of the crickets. At the back of the apartment there is a small pond so we can hear the low vibrations and croaks of the bull frogs and the general chirps and squabbles from the birds.

When I moved here first the sounds of the wildlife were distracting rather than peaceful. I remember the cicadas were so loud that they woke me from my sleep. I find the croaking frogs very entertaining and they still put me in a fit of giggles most evenings.

One of my favourite things to do is to take a wander around the outskirts of the town. There are a couple of small shinto shrines hidden around which normally have some cats hanging around eating some food that locals have left out for them. When I find them I feel like I’m in a studio Ghibli movie.

There are plenty of beautiful rice paddies scattered around the landscape. Coming from Ireland I have little knowledge of growing rice so it is nice to see the stages during the four seasons. It reminds me of Irish bogs and the steps you have to take when cutting turf.


I enjoy looking at the different types of architecture around the town from the traditional kawara roofs ( clay tile roofs) to western style houses that look like doll houses taken directly from the set of the Truman show. Some of the houses are very worn down and look like they have been abandoned, however, much to our surprise we have noticed that most of these homes are actually occupied.

This town has many similarities to rural towns in Ireland. The majority of the population appears to be from the older generation or young families. Most of the youth in this area finish school and move to larger cites. I suppose there are little job opportunities which causes many to leave the area. Also most people living here can drive and prefer to do their shopping and to socialize in the larger neighbouring towns and cities.

Despite it being a sleepy town, we are both really happy with our surroundings. Most foreigners that visit Japan only get to experience living in big cities and have very little experience of living in a more rural location. The people that live here are extremely kind and patient with us and our extremely poor knowledge of the Japanese language. More importantly we feel that we have experienced a different side of Japan, not the Japan that can be found in holiday brochures.

9 comments:

  1. Heather, a super interesting start to your blog, please do keep it up. I'm always interested to hear about your life in Japan with the adventures in the countryside!

    James Eighteen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I will try my best to keep it up, it will be nice to have a place where I can record some of my memories.

      Delete
  2. I will never forget the deafening roar of the cicadas every summer. As overbearing as it was at the time, I almost miss it now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will probably miss the sound of them when I come home. I wish I wasn’t such a light sleeper.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to all your posts about your travels there. 25,000 people! I wonder where they are all hiding. That would be a big town here for sure.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very unusual, the only time I saw a large amount of people out and about was in my first week here. There was some summer fireworks in the town and a lot of folks were around to see them. Maybe the virus has had a big effect on the town as many local festivals have been cancelled.

      Delete
  4. Hi Heather. Definitely keep it up. Love reading about your adventures. Boyle will still be here for when you get back. It’s a great experience I’m sure as I remember well when I moved to Ireland many moons ago. But then I was still in Europe and not some very different culture. Enjoy your stay and I look forward to reading more. Franziska

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine Ireland was a big move for you too! Did you think you would end up staying in Ireland or were you planning to only stay for a couple of years? We only planned to stay in Japan for one year and we are now going into our third year here.

      Delete
  5. Heather.....Thanks for the nice blog and the beautiful descriptions of a more rural Japan. Some of these towns may be less sleepy when Covid has departed. Keep writing....John.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas In Japan

  This will be my third Christmas in Japan. It is a strange time of the year for me. Less than 1 percent of Japan’s population identify them...